History of the Villages of Salt River and Shepherd
Salt River was platted by Elijah Moore on September 5, 1866. The village consisted of two blocks and twenty-two lots. In this village Mr. Moore erected a hotel which for many years was the only tavern in this part of Coe Township.
George W. Miller platted an additional three blocks and forty-five lots to Salt River in 1867. Many good buildings were built in this plat during the early days of the village. Miller and Moore continued to add to the platted area until 1870. The village had a log schoolhouse that was later replaced by a frame building.
In 1885, Isaac N. Shepherd platted the village of Shepherd on land he owned west of the village of Salt River. By the early 1890s, the principal businesses of the place had moved to Shepherd where the Lansing, Alma, Mt. Pleasant and Northern Rail Depot was located. Shepherd usurped Salt River’s role as folks moved nearer the depot and the thriving business community.
By 1911 a beautiful brick schoolhouse had been built at a cost of $15,000 in the village of Shepherd replacing the frame structure in Salt River.